Friday, December 28, 2007

Tivo HD for Christmas!

I went ahead and bought my wife a Tivo HD for Christmas. I asked her if I could give her something I wanted too, and she was worried about what she may be getting. A new drill? A band-saw? She appeared totally surprised and actually cried when she opened it.

Setup was initially fine. Took a while to download everything and reboot, but eventually it all worked. The cable guy came the day after Christmas to install cable cards, but after about an hour only one appeared to work. It never actually got authorized, so it was not working.

I called two or three times to tech support at time Warner, but they could not activate it. They sent out another group of techs. This time, they brought a M card as I had requested. This time, it actually paired up but I still could not receive a lot of the channels. Some digital came in and some HD, but not everything. Very odd. The card says no EMMs are received, so maybe it is not really working? Or maybe they broadcast some channels without encryption ? Why would they broadcast ESPN (works) in the clear but encrypt ESPN 2 (does not work)? Very odd... More later.

No comments: